School of Business & IT
School of Construction
School of Health Professions
School of Manufacturing
School of Service Professions
School of Transportation
Request a Tour!
In the Dental Assisting Program at DATC, students will be participating in classroom study, laboratory practice, and clinical experiences. Students will learn to obtain and record medical and dental histories as well as vital signs of the patient, instruct the patient in oral hygiene and plaque control, and provide pre and postoperative instructions as prescribed by the dentist. The student will set up instrument trays; sterilize and disinfect instruments and equipment; expose, develop and mount diagnostic dental radiographs; make dental impressions and study casts; clean and polish the coronal portion of the teeth; and apply topical fluorides to strengthen teeth. Administrative instruction includes scheduling appointments, receiving payments, completing insurance forms and maintaining patient records. Students in the Dental Assisting program are required to complete a non-paid externship by working in two different dental settings.
The Dental Assisting program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.
Because this program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), completion of this program will prepare you to take the Certification for Dental Assistants examination sponsored by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. Students who successfully pass the exam become Certified Dental Assistants.
- Program Cost
- (Tuition, Student Fees and Books. Some courses may require additional fees.)
- Program Length
- 1200 hours (13 months)
- Main Campus
- Open Enrollment Year Round
- DATC Credentials
- DATC Certificate of Program Completion
- Industry Certifications
- The DATC Dental Assisting program provides students with the necessary skills to begin employment in their selected field. Students who complete their program will be prepared to take the tests for the following certifications:
- Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification
- Certified Dental Assisting (CDA)
- Utah State Board of Dental Examiners Radiology (for Dental Assistants)
- Placement Rates
- Utah Job Outlook and Work Requirements
- Dental Assistants
- Verify you meet program Admissions Requirements
- Complete the DATC Admissions process:
- Meet with an Enrollment Technician in Student Services
- Start Class