School of Business & IT
School of Construction
School of Health Professions
School of Manufacturing
School of Service Professions
School of Transportation
Request a Tour!
In the Dental Assisting Program at DATC, students will be participating in classroom study, laboratory practice, and clinical experiences. Students will learn to obtain and record medical and dental histories as well as vital signs of the patient, instruct the patient in oral hygiene and plaque control, and provide pre and postoperative instructions as prescribed by the dentist. The student will set up instrument trays; sterilize and disinfect instruments and equipment; expose, develop and mount diagnostic dental radiographs; make dental impressions and study casts; clean and polish the coronal portion of the teeth; and apply topical fluorides to strengthen teeth. Administrative instruction includes scheduling appointments, receiving payments, completing insurance forms and maintaining patient records. Students in the Dental Assisting program are required to complete a non-paid externship by working in two different dental settings. Because this program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), completion of this program will prepare you to take the Certification for Dental Assistants examination sponsored by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. Students who successfully pass the exam become Certified Dental Assistants.
- Program Length
- 1200 hours (13 months)
- Open Enrollment Year Round
- Davis Applied Technology College - Main Campus
- Classroom Availability
Classroom Availability: Dental Assisting
*High school students may choose to have a schedule that coincides with the morning bell schedule at their high school. To request early arrival, high school students may visit the Student Services Office.
- Estimated Cost
- Refer to Gainful Employment Disclosures
DATC Program Certificates (600 hours each)
- Dental Hygiene Assistant*
- Dental Assistant
- DATC Certificate of Program Completion (1200 hours)
*Certificate or current industry employment required prior to enrollment in other program certificates.
- Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)
- Certified Dental Assisting (CDA)
- DATC Continuing Education Department
- Utah State Board of Dental Examiners Radiology (for Dental Assistants)
- DATC (offered as part of the Dental Assisting program)
- Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Verify you meet program Admissions Requirements
- Complete the DATC Admissions process:
- Meet with an Enrollment Technician in Student Services
- Start Class