Frequently Asked Questions

Student Information

Request a Tour!

General Questions

How do I enroll at the DATC?
In general, you will need to complete an on-line admissions application, take the admissions assessments, and then visit Student Services to set up a class schedule. Many programs have specific admissions standards and some have a competitive application process. To find the information for the specific program that interests you, start with our list of programs at and then click on the program of your choice. There you’ll find all of the details regarding enrollment in that program along with a link to the on-line admissions application.
I'm an adult, but I didn't finish high school. Can I still enroll at the DATC?

Enrollment at the DATC for adults is limited to those who have a high school diploma or equivalent. Students who are still of high school age, of course, do not need a diploma.

Adults who need to prepare for the GED, or want to pursue an adult diploma, can contact the Davis District Adult Education program. Information about this program is available at 801-402-0720

What are the 'admissions assessments'?
We want to give you the best chance to succeed, so before you start we check to make sure that your math, reading and language skills are appropriate for the program you’ve chosen. You can learn more about the test you’ll take on the Program Admissions web page at If your scores are a little low, don’t worry. We have classes to help build your skills so you can succeed in your chosen training program.
What if I'm not sure what to study?
We’ll be happy to help you identify careers that would be a good match for your interests and abilities. Please contact Student Services and ask to speak to a Career Advisor.
How much does it cost?
There is a small registration fee to get started. After that tuition is charged per enrolled hour. On each program page you’ll find information about the total cost for the specific program.
Do you have a cafeteria?
Yes. The “Corner Café” is located on the east side of our main building and is open on school days for breakfast and lunch.
Can I get Financial Aid?

The DATC offers Federal Financial Aid (Pell grants), VA benefits and scholarships. To learn more about Financial Aid, you can check out

To begin the Financial Aid application process, you can find application information at

How do I pay my tuition?
You can pay your tuition in person at the cashier’s desk in student services using cash, check, Master Card or Visa or by going to the Student Portal on-line at to pay with MasterCard or Visa.
What is the DATC Refund Policy?
You can find the full DATC Refund policy on our Student Policy page at
What will my class schedule be?
Your class schedule will be determined by the availability of the course or program that you take. The availability of classes is listed on the individual web pages for each program. You can access the program pages from When you enroll, a member of the Student Services staff will assist you in creating a schedule and can advise you on what you will need to do if you have to change that schedule.
Will you help me get a job?
The entire purpose of the training at the DATC is to prepare you for a job and we want to give you the best chance possible at finding employment. Our Job Placement Office provides a variety of services to students and employers. You can learn more at
Do you offer services for students with disabilities?
We do offer accommodations and support to students with disabilities. For more information on the services offered and how you can apply for them, please go to the Services to Students with Disabilities page, or click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
How long will it take to finish my training?
The length of each program is based on the skills that you’ll need to learn to succeed in your chosen career. You can find the length of your program by going to the Program Page ( and selecting your program from the list. You’ll find the number of hours you’ll need to complete as well as an estimate of the number of months it will take you to finish the work if you’re enrolled full time.
What about attendance and grades?
Each program at the DATC has a written orientation which includes information about attendance and grade expectations and requirements for that particular program. If you have questions about these expectations and requirements, please talk to your instructor.
What if I need to take a break from my training?
We recognize that students may need a little time off during their training. The staff in Student Services will be happy to assist you in taking advantage of the ‘Leave of Absence’ policy. Please feel free to drop in during normal business hours to find out more or you can read the policy on-line at
Are there any holidays from school?
There are several non-school days during the year. These dates can be found on the school calendar.
I have credit from another school that I’d like to transfer in. What should I do?
In general, you will need to have your transcripts and academic records evaluated by a member of our faculty so that they can decide what the DATC will be able to accept. For full details on the Transfer of Credit policy, please check it out at
Will the courses I take at the DATC count for credit at other colleges?
The decision to accept credit is always decided by the receiving institution. However, many of our programs have formal articulation agreements with local colleges. Your instructor(s) will be able to provide you with details specific to your program of study.
How can I get a transcript of my course work at the DATC?
You may obtain a copy of your transcript, by completing the ‘Transcript Request Form’ which is found at the bottom of the Student Services page on our website (
How can I get copies of other academic records such as verification of enrollment?
If you’d like verification of enrollment, please complete the ‘Enrollment Verification Form’ which can be found at the bottom of the Student Services page on our website ( Other kinds of academic records can be requested from the DATC Registrar by calling Student Services at 801-593-2332.
Where can I go to buy books and supplies for school?
The DATC has an on-campus bookstore for your convenience. You can find out more about the bookstore at
Do you have a library?
The DATC library is located directly across from Student Services and provides a wide variety of electronic resources including full text academic articles and internet access. There is no cost to students to access these resources in the library.
When I’ve completed my training, what do I have to do?
If you’re ready to leave the DATC, please come to Student Services to officially withdraw. If you have completed your program and you’re ready to graduate, we will assist you in completing your graduation paperwork so that you can receive your certificate as well as an invitation to attend the graduation ceremony.
How much is tuition?
Tuition cost is generally $1.90/hour (effective July 1, 2013). Tuition and related fees will be calculated by course based upon the number of hours within the course . Your specific tuition bill will be calculated when you meet with a representative of the DATC. Tuition is due when you register for a course.
What other fees do I need to know about?
Additional Fees (non-refundable)
$0.10/hourCampus Fee
$0.03/hourNorthStar Student Information System Fee
$0.05/hourAssessment Center Fee
$0.06/hourStudent Support Fee
$0.16/hourBuilding Support Fee
$0.13/hourTechnology Fee
$75.00High School Annual Fee
$40.00Registration Fee
$20.00Re-enrollment Fee – This fee applies to students who withdraw and subsequently re-enroll within a 12 month time frame.
$5.00Schedule Change Fee – This fee is assessed for any student-initiated schedule changes.
$5.00Late Payment Fee – This fee will be charged if payment or sponsorship voucher is received after the date due, regardless of weekends or holidays.
$3.00Transcript Fee
$15.00Certificate Filing Fee
  • All per hour fees are charged to all post-secondary students, including those whose contract specifies tuition only.
  • Lab fees for specific courses are charged in addition to the amounts listed above.
  • For students classified as non-resident, tuition is $6.65 per hour.
  • Fees effective July 1, 2013.
What hours are your classes available?
Information about when the classes are available are on each program page. Look at the bottom of the "Quick Facts" section on the right side of each page.
Where's your phone directory?

The directory is located under the main menu at DATC/Department Directory.

Is there a job board for students?
Yes, the job board can be found under the Employers section at this link.
Is there a job board with jobs related to DATC programs?
Yes, the job board for external employees is posted here.
Do I need to call in to excuse absences?
No. It will be an absence.

DATC Bookstore

If the Bookstore doesn't have the book I need on the shelf how can I get a copy of the book I need/want?
The Bookstore is able to order almost any book that is currently in print. Please contact the Bookstore at 801-593-2451 for details and availability.
What does Academic Price mean?
Many software and hardware manufacturers offer discounts to students hoping that the student will become familiar with their products. All products that are marked Academic Price are the same product that you would buy from a normal retail channel, only at a discounted for sale to academic market only. Sometimes that discount is up to 70%.
Does the bookstore sell computer software?
Yes, the Bookstore is a great place to buy your computer equipment, software, and peripherals. In many cases you can save up to 70% on Academically Priced software.
What are the store hours?
Monday – Thursday 7:30am to 7:30pm
Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm
Where does my New Textbook dollar go?
Download this PDF for a breakdown of your textbook dollar.
How do I find the textbook I need for my class?

Follow these steps to be able to find the material you will need for class.

Attend class and get a list of required materials from your instructor.

Textbooks are arrange on the shelf by Department and Subject. Curriculum is available in the curriculum area as you enter the Bookstore. If needed, ask a Bookstore associate for assistance.

What is the textbook buy-back program?
Textbook Buyback is used to gain the textbooks we will be using at the Davis Applied Technology College. Typically you will receive 50% of the New Textbook price, based on the condition of the book and whether this book is going to be used again at the Davis Applied Technology College. Buyback is conducted every day of the School Year.
What are the return/exchange policies?

Save your receipt! Original Receipt is required for all refunds and exchanges. No exceptions.

  • All Sales are final on the 7th Business day following purchase.
  • Exception: Short Length Class materials are refundable for Only One Business Day.
  • Defective Merchandise will be exchanged for the same or similar merchandise within 30 days of receipt. After 30 days refer to manufacturer warranty.
  • Shrink-wrapped / packaged merchandise is NON-Returnable once opened.
  • All Curriculum sales are final. No returns or exchanges.
  • After 7 business days, textbooks will be given Buyback price if the book is still a current edition and in resalable condition.
  • Refund is cash or credit based on purchase method.
  • Clearance items are sold as-is and are non returnable.

Hill AFB Pathways (previously SCEP)?

What is Pathways? (previously SCEP)
The Pathways program provides a way for individuals to get hired in a government job at a low grade—usually a Wage Grade (WG) - 03, attend school, and eventually be promoted and converted to a permanent employee. You do not need any experience in the field you are applying for.
How do I apply?
Job announcements will be posted at Davis Applied Technology College will no longer post the announcements on the electronic job board. Applicants must apply using when positions are posted.
How does it work?
Hill Air Force Base will post Pathways positions at when they are available. After the position closes, applications will be screened, hired, and contacted by Hill Air Force Base. After selection, the student must register at DATC and pay the $40 registration fee. They will then visit the HAFB Training Representative to obtain a personalized training plan.
Can I use my GI Bill or federal aid to pay for my training?
No, currently the only financial aid available for this training is through the Utah Department of Work Force Services. You would need to contact them to see if you qualify. This training doesn’t qualify for payment through the GI bill or Pell Grant.
Can I submit an application at any time?
No, you may only submit an application when a position is posted at
When does Hill AFB advertise jobs?
They advertise when there is a need to fill a position. Please visit on a regular basis to view postings.
What will my school schedule be?
You must enroll for 12 hours per week. You can schedule those 12 hours to best fit your schedule. You must have at least 80% attendance each month.
What will my training cost?
The cost is approximately $1.90 per hour , plus associated program fees. You are also responsible for purchasing your own books. Each job has its own training plan of varying lengths, so we can’t tell you exactly how much it will cost.
Does Hill AFB pay for my training?
No, part of the Pathways program requires that you pay for your own schooling and attend on your own time.
How do I know what training I need to take?
After you have been notified that you are selected for a job, you must contact the Hill Air Force Base Training Representative at DATC to obtain your training plan.
Do I need a Letter of Intent?
No, the Letter of Intent is no longer required.

Practical Nurse

I am completely new to nursing/medical professions. Where should I start?

A great place to start is the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course which is available at the DATC. Besides being a prerequisite for the Practical Nurse (PN) program, the CNA course will give you a great introduction to the nursing profession, and you will learn vital skills that will be built upon in the PN and RN programs.

Once you complete your CNA, you can get a job and get experience doing hands-on patient care. This will give you additional points on the PN program application. From there, you can go on to complete all the prerequisite and support courses required for PN admission and/or graduation.

How do I apply for the Practical Nurse Program?

The application document is available during our select application times (See “When can I apply for the Practical Nurse program?”). To apply:

  • Go to
  • Under Step 2 is a link to the Practical Nurse Application. The link will take you to a pdf file you can print out and either hand-deliver or mail in to the DATC Practical Nurse program by the deadline.
  • Step 3 is only completed after acceptance into the program.
What are the requirements for the Practical Nurse Program?
Applicants must have a 3.0 or better GPA at the time of application to be considered qualified for the program. Additionally, all prerequisite and support courses must be passed with a C grade or better.
What prerequisite/support course are offered at the DATC?
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course and Math courses up through Intermediate Algebra Math 1010 are available at the DATC. The other prerequisite and support courses can be taken at Weber State University or another regionally accredited university (restrictions may apply; if you have concerns about courses you have taken qualifying for prerequisite or support courses, please contact us).
When can I apply for the Practical Nurse Program?

Qualified applicants can apply three times a year for our program. The application dates are as follows:

  • March through May for the class that begins in January
  • July through September for the class that begins in May
  • November through January for the class that begins in August
  • All applications will be available the 1st day of the month (March, July, November) and will close the third Wednesday of the month (January, May, August).
  • Any application received after the application deadline will be considered late and will be disqualified.
  • See specific dates at Step 2 on our web page
How do you select applicants?

The Admissions Committee has a set of policies and procedures that are used to select our future students. Candidates are selected based on a competitive point system split into three areas:

  • Area 1: Cumulative grade point average (GPA). This area awards the most points. The higher your cumulative GPA, the more points you will receive. We use your high school GPA until you have 15 or more credits of college.
  • Area 2: Completed Prerequisite and/or Support Courses: Completing prerequisite and/or support courses before you apply will award you more points. Extra points are given for completion of three or more of the support courses. More points will also be awarded if all prerequisite and support courses are completed at the time of application with a 3.0 GPA or higher in those courses. For a list of prerequisite and support courses, please see “What are the requirements for the Nurse Program?”
  • Area 3: Additional Areas. This area gives equal points for each of the noted areas below:
    • Associate of Science or Associate of Art or higher degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution
    • Paid medical work experience, such as 6+ months working as a CNA, Medical Assistant, Surgical Technician, Respiratory Therapist, Paramedic, or EMT (these fields award the most points).
    • A typed personal letter detailing why you wish to become a nurse. Points will be based on guideline items and grammar.
    • References: three from a supervisor, employer, or teacher.
How competitive is the application process for the Practical Nurse program?
The application process is very competitive. We typically receive between 100-200 applicants for the 30 openings per semester. On average, most students apply about three times before they are accepted.
Is the Practical Nurse program self-paced?
Unlike most of the programs offered at DATC, the Practical Nurse program is taught in a “defined-entry, defined-exit” method. This means that all students attend the same courses at the same times set up for the program. For more information, please see “What are the days/hours of the Practical Nurse program?”
What are the days/hours of the Practical Nurse program?
Theory courses for the program are held on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. There may be some skills labs or pass-offs that will keep you after class until 4:30 p.m. Clinical courses are held on Thursdays and Fridays. The exact hours of your clinical courses will depend on which hospital you are assigned, but they are typically 8-12 hours long. Nursing students are expected to attend all these hours. No part-time or evening hours are available at this time.
Do I have to get a CNA if I have other medical certifications?
Yes. A current Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification is required before the first day of the Practical Nurse program, even if you have other medical certifications.
Do I need to turn in transcripts with my application?

Yes. We require official (sealed) transcripts with each new application. We will also accept an electronic copy of your official transcripts from schools that offer that service. Transcripts must be sent from each college attended. High school transcripts do not need to be sent if you have more than 15 college credits completed. Please consult WSU about evaluating your international transcripts.

Transcripts can be included with your application or mailed separately. They can be mailed here:

Davis Applied Technology College
Practical Nurse Program
550 South 300 East
Kaysville, UT 84037

Electronic transcripts should be sent to:

TIP: When ordering transcripts online, you may need to put “Practical Nurse Program” in the first address line so your transcripts are directed to the right department within the school.

Does DATC offer an RN program?
Weber State University offers a contractual RN Completion nursing program at the DATC campus. This program is only for those who have successfully completed a Practical Nurse program. Current DATC PN students are given first preference for this program, former DATC PN students receive second preference, and then graduates of other programs are considered to fill any remaining slots. The nursing facility is housed on the DATC campus. If admitted to this program, you are enrolled at Weber State, but take your nursing courses at the DATC campus.

Registrar and Records

What if I cannot access the transcript request form?

You may submit a letter which includes the following information:

  • Student First and Last Name (previous and current, if applicable)
  • Date of Birth or Student ID number
  • The program and approximate year of attendance
  • Student’s signature and current e-mail address, if applicable

Submit letter to College Cashier OR

  • Fax to : (801) 593-2539 OR
  • Mail to:
    Davis Applied Technology College
    Attn: Cashier
    550 East 300 South
    Kaysville, UT 84037
How do I know if there is a hold on my transcript/records?
The College requires that all financial obligations be met prior to the release of official records. You will be notified of any hold placed on records.
How do I transfer DATC courses to other colleges/universities?

Educational institutions accept transfer credit according to their policies and procedures but will generally require an official transcript to initiate the process. Please see the transferring institution for advisement.

Specific articulations agreements exist between the DATC and some local institutions. Because the DATC is focused on terminal job-skills training, students should not expect any transferability not specifically covered by one of the agreements. However, in all cases, students should make contact with the receiving institution(s) before enrolling at the DATC.

Are faxed transcripts considered official?
Most agencies/education institutions will not consider a faxed transcript official because the seal is not visible on a faxed copy. Please contact the agency/institution for advisement.
How can I get an unofficial transcript?

Unofficial Transcripts may be obtained:

What if the recipient/s of the records do/does not receive the original transcript?
Please contact Student Services at (801) 593-2332 to check on the status. Submit Transcript Request to Registrar for processing with the notation at the top of form - “Re-Print”
How do I find out if my transcript request was processed?
Please contact Student Services at (801) 593-2332 to check on the status.
Why does it take 3-5 days to process a transcript?
All official documents must be verified before being released from the College. Most transcripts are processed within a few days, depending on the volume of requests.
Is there a charge for my transcript?
The fee for an official transcript is $3. There is no charge for unofficial transcripts.
How do I request an official transcript and/or academic records?

It depends on what type of records you are requesting. For:

  • Adult Ed, GED Prep – please contact DSD Adult Education, Sandra Orndorff (801) 402-0720
  • GED or Test Results – please contact Assessment, Marie Sherwood (801) 593-2336
  • College Programs – refer to #2
  • Other – please contact the College Registrar for advisement (801) 593-2420

Please complete the "Transcript Request Form" and allow 3-5 days for processing. The form is available:

  • Download and print from our website
  • Student Services
  • via fax, mail or email (contact Student Services)
How do I obtain a copy of my test results?
Test results can be acquired by a request in person, by mail, or by fax. Download the form online here. Requests will not be accepted by phone or email. A large 4” x 6” photocopy of your picture identification (ID) such as Driver License or other government-issued photo ID, must accompany your request form along with the $5.00.
How do I request an Enrollment Verification Letter?

Enrollment Verification is used to verify actual enrollment for Student Loan Deferments, Insurance Companies, or for a variety of other reasons. The form provides dates of enrollment, program of study, and enrollment status (half-time, full-time, etc.) There is no charge for Enrollment Verification.

Verification Worksheet (for Dependents)
Verification Worksheet (for Independents)

Students with Disabilities

How do I obtain an application for ADA Accommodations?
The ADA Applications are kept in Students Services, in the main building at the DATC campus. To obtain an application, sign into the computers by the chairs. When brought into Student Services, ask for an application.
What does the application process require of me?
You will be required information to provide about how your disability impacts your functioning in an education setting. In most situations, you will be referred to an ADA counselor to discuss needs and to arrange accommodations.
What type of documentation would be helpful to determine eligibility?
Documentation needs to help DATC to understand the nature of your disability. IEPs from High School, evaluations from Vocational Rehabilitation, letters from medical professionals are some examples.L
Who do I call about the ADA services that the DATC provides?
Please call: Chris Convery at 801-593-2319 or Brent Peterson 801-593-2454
Who is responsible for paying for evaluations or re-evaluations of my disability?
The student is responsible to provide verification of disability and to pay for evaluations. If a student is working with a rehabilitation agency, he/she should request that the information regarding diagnosis, functional limitations and appropriate recommendations for accommodations be provided, if possible, through that agency.
What types of services might be offered to students with disabilities?

A variety of services appropriate for qualifying disabilities may include, but are not limited to:

  • Appropriate classroom adaptations or accommodations
  • Note takers or readers
  • esting accommodations
  • Taped textbooks
  • Braille or large print materials
  • Specialized equipment like screen reading software, screen enlargements, etc.
  • Sign language interpreter services
  • Study skills, test taking strategy, and learning style classes
  • Specialized software
  • Campus counseling and referral to community services
  • Other services
What services are not provided under ADA Accommodations?
  • Personal Tutors
  • Personal Aides
  • Transportation
  • Computers or software for off campus use
How do I access DATC ADA policy?
Please click here to view the Student with Disabilities policy.
Whom do I talk to if I think I am being discriminated against?
If you feel that you are being discriminated against, for any reason, and you cannot resolve your concerns immediately through self-advocacy in your training environment, you are encouraged to see a member of the College Counseling Team in Student Services. You can ask to see the first counselor available to review your concerns and talk about what to do. If your informal efforts to resolve your concerns are not working out, you can talk to your Counselor about the Student Grievance Policy. You may prefer to talk to a Director of Programs (in the Training Division) or the Director of Student Affairs (in Student Services) about your concerns. Students may also wish to contact the Office of Civil Rights if they cannot resolve their concerns on campus.
  • #
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
  • Email Us
CTE Transmittal